Thursday, May 13, 2010

Quick notes

 - It's been a very stressful and busy week at work, and with temperatures staying cool and us still tired from the race we made yesterday an off day. We're putting Wednesdays workout on Friday, as it's supposed to warm up moving into next week.

- It looks like we're settling on the 6/19 Minuteman Sprint and the 7/18 MA State Olympic Triathlon as our primary tune-ups for Timberman. The Minuteman is a longer bike (14 mi) and Run (4 mi) than the distances we did this weekend, so that should help us prepare for the Olympic which will be the longest race (.9, 21, 6) that I've ever done. Minuteman is similar to other sprints I've finished and had better results than this past weekend. The other interesting thing about the Olympic is that it comes just a few days after our honeymoon in Europe. If nothing else will, that should serve to stop us from eating our way across England and France.

- I'm starting to look more seriously at bikes. While I enjoy the triple chain ring on mine (giving me more gear combinations to climb with than most road bikes) the quality of the components causes me issues (like having the chain come off during a gear shift in this past weekends race) that I'd like to avoid. I'm not spending a lot, and I don't know when I can actually get one. In fact, if you happen to work for a bike company looking to provide a sponsorship to a fat guy who will say nice things about you during triathlons, please don't hesitate to email ;)

- Thankfully, this week isn't a high priority week in terms of our fitness. Pretty soon, every week will be high priority and I hope I don't have to continue to battle the level of work stress I've had this week as we progress through the summer.

- Sometime today I'm going for a run. We're now only a couple of weeks away from the showdown with my mother in law in the 5k in Wisconsin. Against my better judgement, we went in with the family to buy her some running shoes for Mothers Day. Just what I need, a well equipped opponent. While my performance was OK on the run course this past weekend, it's going to take a monumental effort to beat Shari, but I'm going to give it everything I've got.

- Did I mention the name of the Wisconsin race? It's the Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome 5k. I've never heard of this, but just the name sounds terrible. Rach said she picked this race among the races local to Milwaukee that weekend because she wanted a shirt that had vomit on it. I told her if she'd go back in time to my college days, that I am sure I could have given her one or two of those.

- Don't you hate it when outside looks sunny and gorgeous but the thermometer reads 43? It's like the weather is teasing me. Hello, it's May already!!!

- Lastly, I got the results page fixed and up yesterday. I had planned some nice HTML tables, but in the end you get snapshots of my results spreadsheet. The columns you see are about half of what I actually track on each race, but the rest is only important to me (race location, etc.) and make the pic too wide for the screen.  I'll work on the review page this weekend, and then once the interviews start coming in, they'll be a separate page for those too.

1 comment:

  1. Thats an awesome name for a 5K! Have a blast.

    There are a lot of great road bikes that you can get with a triple chain ring in the front. If you really like your triple I would look into ensuring you future new bike has one of those. At the very least look into a compact front crank but I have a feeling that you would like the triple better. Nothing wrong with that at all. I have serveral friends who changed to a triple for the NC hills.

    Hope the weather warms up.
    D

    ReplyDelete