Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A sick day ... and I should be faster

The great thing about a training plan that you administer yourself is that you can also change it. And while it can be a double edged sword when you're not at your strongest in terms of willpower; it's as least as much of a benefit as it is a concern.

As I mentioned the other day, I was feeling lousy. I have improved but not enough where I felt good about exercising in the rain, which would have been the result of yesterdays plan. I've trained in the rain plenty, but not when I'm under the weather and not this close to a race. Aside from increased risk of feeling bad, there's increased risk of injury from slipping or falling, and it just isn't worth it.

Plus, Rach had a muscle biology final today that she needed to study for last night, and I quiz her on the last day. So we swapped yesterdays workout with Friday's rest day. We're starting to run out of time for training, so I want to make sure we fit in every workout we can before we need to start tapering.

Notes:

- My wife ran a sub 2:00 half-marathon. My cousin Alex is on the Purdue cross-country team and was all-conference in high school. His sister Vanessa has run the Chicago marathon, and has climbed whole buildings worth of stairs. And now, a slightly more distant cousin, Matt Folk, has won the Glass City (Toledo) marathon for the second year in a row with a time of 2:28.

Seriously, I should be faster.

- We're going to be buying some gear this weekend in final preparation for next weekends race. Rach needs to rent a wetsuit, new bike gloves and a race belt. I may get a race belt, but other than that and cleaning my current wetsuit, I'm in good shape. Unless I win the Powerball tonight. Then I'm buying a bike! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment