Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In sickness and in health

There's a part of the traditional wedding vows that I think people might not always put enough weight on and that's the "in sickness and in health". I'm not talking about something life threatening like cancer, heart disease, or anything else like that. I'm talking about the changes that happen in your daily life when someone has an illness that makes them just need more space, so sitting on your very small couch next to them is impossible.

Right now, Rach is that sick, and has been really since before the honeymoon, and it worsened enough that for a person who never really complains when she's sick, she's now visiting the doctor a second time. The first visit to the doctor provided cough medicine and antibiotics. The second visit today yielded more of the same plus being told to take sudafed. They believe it's a viral infection and those simply take time to work through. At least her cough medicine has codine, so she's able to get a little bit of physical relief from the aches and pains.

The problem is of course that we don't have much time with Timberman now just a month from tomorrow. We obviously don't want her overdoing it, but at the same time, right now is not the time to be missing training. I haven't been feeling well myself, and wound up taking last night off of training for an early bedtime.

The good news is that I have at least a temporary bicycle. My friend and co-worker John had a steel framed 10 speed in his basement, a quality bike he wasn't using, and gave it to me. It's a bit tall, and I haven't given it a ride yet, but it does seem like with some new tires and tubes it will service until we're able to get me a new bike.

And, this morning I was able to do my planned AM workout 8 x .5 miles running. It took me a bit over an hour to do, but I was averaging 7 minute half miles, which isn't terrible at this point considering how little running I've been doing. I need to do 15 minute miles for the race if I expect to finish, so being under that right now is a good start. I had a short break each half mile so my total time was like 1:04, but by the time race gets here I know I can have that ready.

We've got a decent length swim tonight, and it'll be interesting to see how Rach gets through it. Plus, hopefully we'll be able to go replace at least her bike tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment