Friday, February 19, 2010

Small victory

Last night, Wheelworks Multisport had a new member social to bring together fresh recruits like Rach and myself with others both new and returning to the team. It was in our neighborhood at a bar I've been wanting to visit. I've met some of the officers and returning members at previous in the past, along with the friend who suggested I look at Wheelworks as a possible team. Overall, the event was a lot of fun, and we got to know a few people, including a guy I'm connected to on Daily Mile (a nice, easy tool for tracking workouts), but had never met in person before. 

The problem I have with events like this of course is that they're held at a bar with a majority of the athletes in the kind of shape that can afford a few drinks and some salty, calorie laden snacks. I wasn't the only one there not in perfect shape, and I knew the added challenge of being around (and competing with) far more fit athletes. 

I did my best to be smart, limiting myself to one beer, and a light one at that. Further, I ordered dinner in order to stop myself from spending all night snacking on the appetizers. While I still snacked, I definitely ate a smarter meal than anyone else in attendance (no one else ordered dinner). I suppose they don't have to worry as much as I do about smarter eating. 

This reminds me about a common piece of weight loss information I completely disagree with: "instead of 3 big meals, eat 6 smalls meals". It's a plan designed to ensure you always feel "full", so you're less likely to binge. While this may work for some, I think those who have issues with portion control are the ones with the biggest issues figuring out what "full" means, and this will turn just into all day snacking with a net of more calories consumed. To me, snacking is a part of the process, but limiting it to once or twice a day to a very small subset of your total calories/points. Further, snacking has to be planned, with specific item(s) planned to eat. Otherwise, it's just extra calories.

I was up from yesterday morning, but only 1 pound. I'm sitting at 319 today, and I'm sure some of that will be gone tomorrow as the salt goes away. I'm still looking to hit 317 this weekend, and then I'll still have a week to get the next 5 pounds off to meet my 10 pound goal for the month. I have a 5 pound cushion from last month, but I don't want to rely on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment