Thursday, October 7, 2010

A chain reaction

Last night, I got one of the best compliments I've gotten in a REALLY long time. Ange, an elite triathlete who has finished Kona, and whose Timberman time this year was just a little over half mine, said that I inspired her to get back to work on her own weight loss. For several minutes I was quite excited as I read through her blog, learning we'd competed in two of the same races, and to see someone here semi-local doing a lot of the things Rach and I are doing and really succeeding at them.

But then I realized, it wasn't me who motivated her. Sure, she read my story, but all I did was channel the motivation provided by a commenter, "Mary in NC", who kindly reminded me I could do more to apply my determination and willpower to my food intake as well. How many mornings did I get out of bed this year at 5:30 AM to make it to the pool by 6? What about that time 45 miles into the Timberman bike did my legs seize up, and I found a way through it? If I have the willpower for all of that, I definitely have the willpower to make quality food choice 20 meals a week (That 21st meal is where I get to use my extra points per Weight Watchers, so I don't wind up binging).

So, while I'm absolutely thrilled to have Ange find the blog, and to get to learn about an athlete of her caliber, I also know that the real motivator here was "Mary in NC".

Notes:

- I'm still doing week 4 of the couch to 5k, because I am exhausted by the end of the run. I'm not moving on to week 5 until I can handle week 4 without slowing down at the end of each run. I ran last night, and I did the whole thing as planned, but by the end I was beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment