Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Luke Skywalker would have been an awesome triathlete

When I was growing up, all I really wanted to be was this guy:
I even still have the haircut
Somewhere along the way, instead of becoming that guy, I became this one:
I think he's placing a pizza order into the microphone
As I look back at last season I have a lot that I'm really proud of, and some things that I wasn't as pleased with. The focus on training for Rev3 Cedar Point was such a new experience, and looking back, physically I believe I was capable of completing the distance. The problem I had was that when it came to both training and racing is that mentally I couldn't bring myself to truly believe I could do it.


Yoda is always right, and this is no different. I worked hard, but not hard enough. To paraphrase the Master himself, too often my mind wasn't focused on where I was, what I was doing. I let myself be too easily distracted from the bigger picture by things that certainly don't matter as much as my health and my performance goals. It was a tough lesson to learn learn at my A race for the season, but I'd much rather get something out of it than not. 

Plus, it's a lot better than having your hand chopped off
There's a lot to the idea of fake it until you make it, and that's what I'm planning on doing on the days my attitude and willpower aren't where the need to be. I could try doing Jedi Mind tricks on myself, and dipping the fridge in carbonite.Of course, you can't fake the work it takes to train, so that part I'm gonna do for real.

What do you mean I got a 2 minute drafting penalty?
Notes:

- I got my blood test results back from my physical. My blood sugar was very good, my triglycerides were very good, my overall cholesterol was good, and my good cholesterol was dramatically improved. My LDL, or bad cholesterol was just a very tiny bit high, but the doctor said not to worry about it, as I had eaten pretty poorly coming out of Shipwreck leading up the test, which likely causes the small spike. 

- I bought a groupon for a sports shop in Raleigh and it turned out to be the tri shop that runs Beach to Battleship. They were having a huge sale, and we got Rach some new $100 racing shoes for $40. Plus I finally got my hands on some strawberry Honey Stinger Waffles and a new 

- I ran Monday, but had a serious work deadline Tuesday and the Drs appointment Tuesday plus the lack of daylight and no lights on our busy road, I'm back on the road again Wednesday. 

- I sent out a couple emails to potential coaches today. I want to have the coach in place by sometime in December so our planning and training for next season can get into full swing.


8 comments:

  1. Did you know that there is an attorney in Detroit (Canton, MI, actually) who legally changed his name to Luke Skywalker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he is a runner, too, apparently in his mid to late 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...you mean your good cholesterol had improved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those waffles....I have strawberry...plain...and vanilla. I have dreams of a sandwich with all of them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.'
    - Darth Vader

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom - that guy in Detroit is smart.
    Rach - good point. fixed.
    Kacie - I had been eating vanilla and plain for awhile, but the Strawberry I could never find til Sunday. So awesome!
    WGS - This is the comment of the year winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Do or do not, there is no try", Master Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It was a tough lesson to learn learn at my A race for the season, but I'd much rather get something out of it than not." Well said; good attitude. Sometimes the unintended lessons are just as important as the intended ones.

    And I dig the Star Wars theme. You know what's amazing? Star Wars came out when I was about five, and now Kacie's little brother, age 8, is totally into it now.

    ReplyDelete