Monday, December 7, 2009

37 weeks

Today was the first official day of training for Timberman. My darling wife is an athletic trainer and between her knowledge and a long term plan she found online, we have begun training for the big race. Today was relatively simple: 2.5 miles on the track and some core work.

Except that me and core work are not things that usually go well together.

I'm TERRIBLE at it.

Fortunately, it was an easy set of about 15 reps of 8 different exercises. I did most of it reasonably well, with the exception of one where you're supposed to balance on your tailbone, bend your knees, extend your arms and shift side to side. That one didn't go so well. But I finished none the less.

Day 1 ended late, and day 2 starts early with a trip to the pool at 6 for 600 meters, followed by some lifting.

A couple of side notes:

- I continue to amass sponsorships for the upcoming season. Today I brought on board H2oAudio, a waterproof case company for mp3 players. While it's not one of those things you can't live without, it's certainly something that will help break up the monotony of long pool swims.

- Speaking of sponsorships and gear, we made use of my Rudy Project sponsorship to order new cycling helmets. I've been entranced by the red, white, and blue Slinger model since I saw it in a magazine very early in the year. Never thought I'd own one, let alone get one for Rach for her season. It fits perfectly and for being Rudy's entry level helmet, it's lightyears ahead of the helmet I wore this season interms of both comfort and protection. The first semi-warm day we get around here, I'm hopping in the bike!

- Lastly, I got my big Christmas present early (Rach and I never make each other wait); a black iPod Nano, 5th generation. It's amazing how far they've come since my 2nd gen unit which finally gave out this year after a run in very heavy rain. I am anxious to put in some heavy miles with the new one, especially after I get it calibrated properly for distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment